Independent Living Skills Instructor (Part time)
|Location:||Palo Alto, CA|
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Program / Dept:||Adult Services/Independent Living Skills|
|Description:||Abilities United (formerly C-A-R, Inc.) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization for children and adults with developmental disabilities (intellectual disabilities, cerebral palsy, Down Syndrome, autism, and other neurodevelopmental conditions causing developmental delays) who live in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. Each year, our nine services are used by over 2,500 people and their families.
Abilities United services help to reduce and prevent developmental disabilities while supporting the families and care givers of its clients. Abilities United teaches community living skills and provides job placement and support to its clients. Abilities United educates the community about the valuable contributions made by people with developmental disabilities.
Independent Living Skills offers assessment, daily living skills, self-advocacy training, and support with the many issues that challenge the independence of adults with developmental disabilities in their day-to-day living. ILS Instructors provide assistance in securing housing options to promote and maintain successful community living.
We are currently seeking one full time Employment Specialist/Independent Living Skills (ILS)Instructors for Santa Clara / San Mateo Counties
These individuals will promote & market Employment Services in the Community and provide training throughout the year, as well as providing on-going monitoring of clients’ health and safety. The ES Specialist/Independent Living Skills Instructor will maintain regular communication with individuals concerned with their client including family, work supervisor and Regional Center Case Manager.
|Duties:||Under supervision of program manager or lead staff:
• Act as a representative of the agency in furthering its objectives and advocating for improvements in the quality of life for developmentally disabled persons
• Establish and maintain a regular contact schedule with assigned clients accounting for actual hours worked to assigned Manager within given time frames
• Cross train and substitute in Adult Services programs
• Successfully complete program training course
• Implement strategies and activities as noted in ISP to assist participants with annual objectives.
• Use judgment to determine techniques and materials used to implement client ISP’s in compliance with Principles of Normalization
• Complete all required paperwork, billing, reports, time sheets, grids and statistics on time
• Record data on assigned clients’ progress toward ISP goals, and prepare quarterly/annual summaries as necessary
• Arange annual meeting with families and Regional Center case managers one month prior to client birthdays
• Provide on-going monitoring of assigned clients’ health and safety
• Maintain monthly communication with individuals concerned with client, including family, work supervisor and Regional Center Case Manager
• Check in with assigned Manager to provide status reports on assigned clients (immediately notify assigned Manager of any significant incident and provide SIR report within 24 hours)
• Participate in monthly ILS Staff Meetings and in-service training
Must be minimum of 18 years old
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required; BA/BS in Social Services preferred.
Experience: Minimum 2 years experience working with persons that have developmental disabilities or behaviorally disordered individuals, preferably within residential and/or independent living situations.
Substitution: Combination of High School Diploma or equivalent & 4 + years experience in lieu of BA/BS.
Certification: First Aid with Infant, Child and Adult CPR
Other: Communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing; project a professional & positive image at all times; Valid California driver’s license, a clean driving record, proper automobile insurance and vehicle registration ar required.
Pre Employment Requirements: Clearance with the Department of Justice by completing a background check consisting of having fingerprints processed by appropriate law enforcement agencies
Provide clean DMV printout and proof of automobile insurance during interview process.
Post Employment Requirements: Physical, 2-step Tb test . Maintain all job related certification requirements.
Physical activity requirements include:
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification or the ability to become certified in CPR and First Aid
• Ability to transport program participants in private vehicle is an essential function of this job.
ABILITIES UNITED IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER